Good content is the foundation of the web, and this should also be applicable to your lightbox content.
We would recommend using the following lightbox guidelines:
- Size of no larger than 900x450px.
- Font Size of at least 16px.
- Clear contrasting colours, especially where the close button is concerned, and any other calls-to-action.
- Use either PNG or JPG for any background images.
Advantages of lightboxes
- Layout Freedom – Lightbox scripts place the content above the parent page, freeing you from layout constraints such as column widths to fit the content in.
- Focus – By dimming the rest of the page and centering the lightbox, you put the content front and center.
Disadvantages of lightboxes
- Modality – The user needs to interact with the lightbox before they can continue interacting with the parent window.
- Back Button Confusion – Users clicking the browser’s back button in an attempt to go back to the parent page is a problem.